Monday, January 8, 2007

Finding your social network from your Mailbox

I work with networks as part of my research, so I never let a good idea about exploring complex networks pass.

One problem with working with complex networks, is that it is very hard to define them. We interact with complex systems all the time, often composed of hundreds if not thousands of elements connected together. But to capture them in a quantitative representation, thats the big challenge!

A few months ago, I came up with this simple way to build a fully parameterized social network, from a Mailbox, with a simple Python script.

In this post I present a simple version it, for illustrative reasons, but one that is very easy to extend to capture other aspects of the real Social Network. Here it goes:

No comments:

ccp

Amazon